Who can apply?
Photographers working for mass media are eligible to enter the contest.
The categories News, Reportage, Portrait, Sports, Environment and Nature, and World of Art and Culture are open for photographers with permanent residence in the Slovak Republic
The Mobile Phone Photography, Daily Life and Long-Term Document categories are open to photographers living in Slovakia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia and Ukraine.
The category Students and Young Photographers up to 26 Years is intended for students and photographers from Slovakia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, and Ukraine.
The period during which the works were shot must be between 01 September 2019 and 25 August 2020, except for the Long-Term Document category, where this period is the last min. three years, whereas at least one picture from the series was shot in the course of the previous year, i.e. after 01 September 2019.
The works will be admitted upon receipt via e-mail of a filled-in and signed registration form and a document proving the payment of the administrative fee. Full-time students are not required to pay the administrative fee, provided that they specify in the registration form the school they attend.
Register for the competition:
Photographers and photographs can register at registracia.slovak-press-photo.sk.
To register for the competition, you need to complete an electronic registration form at the website. The participants of the competition will fill in all data required in the registration form. By providing their data, they agree with the rules and conditions of the competition, with processing their personal data. Online registration will generate an application number to be used with all photographs submitted for the competition.
Registration and uploading of photographs to the website:
After you successfully register, we will send an email notification to confirm you have registered to the email address you provided during the registration.
- log in to your account
- click “Apply for Competition” in the top corner. The “Application” pops up.
- first, select your nationality
- fill in the required data and upload photographs for the competition.
- after you upload “Artwork 1”, the application system asks if you would like to proceed with “Artwork 2”, etc.
- draft application form can be saved by clicking the “Save concept” button at the bottom of a website. The system informs you that the draft application is active for 30 days and can be edited using generated token (link) you should save for future reference. You will be unable to access your draft application without this token/link.
- when you consider your application final, click “Submit work and complete the application”. Your application becomes final and cannot be further edited. Before you finalize your application, remember to provide the email address to receive your confirmed application form and information about the registration fee and its payment. The application form must be printed, signed, scanned and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- annexed to your application form, you receive the list of photographs you uploaded.
Contestants are required to upload their photographs in the registration system in JPG/JPEG format in high quality compression and with min. 2,000 px resolution of the shorter side and 3,000 px resolution of the longer side of the image (adobe RGB, sRGB).
The minimum resolution for mobile phone pictures must be 640 px at the longer side of the image, and their size should not be more than 10 MB. Pictures made and edited in any mobile phone or tablet, including iPhones, iPads, Android phones and tablets, are eligible for the contest. Mobile phone pictures can be edited using any application or a combination thereof that are available for mobile phones and tablets.
Each photograph must be assigned to a particular category according to the criteria defined for each category
ICC profile must be embedded in each picture. AdobeRGB, sRGB or grayscale Gamma 2.2 are recommended. No CMYK.
Author’s identification and captions
Pictures must not show the name of the photographer, agency or any other data revealing the author’s identity (these details can be included in the metadata of the pictures, but must not be visible on the picture itself).
All pictures must have accurate captions, written in Slovak (or in English in the case of the international categories). The captions must not be misleading and must answer the basic questions of good journalism.
The first part of the caption must:
- Describe who is in the photograph and what is going on within the photo.
- Name the city, region or state, and country where the picture was made.
- Provide the date the photo was made.
- Captions must give attribution for action not seen (e.g. the scene of accident where more than 10 died, according to police).
The second part of the caption is used to give context to the news event or describe why the photo is significant. Any information that is included must be traceable and verifiable.
The final part must explain the circumstances in which a photograph was taken. If the photographer influenced the scene in any way or gave directions to a subject to pose in any way for a portrait, this must be disclosed.
Adjustment of colour or conversion of pictures to greyscale will only be accepted if no changes are made to the original image. The conversion of colour pictures to black-and white that does not alter content is permitted in the following cases:
- Changes in colour may not result in significant changes in hue to such an extent that the processed colours diverge from the original colours;
- Changes in density, contrast, colour and/or saturation levels may not significantly alter content.
The content of a picture must not be altered by adding, rearranging, reversing, distorting or removing people and/or objects from within the frame. The following exceptions are admissible:
- Cropping that removes extraneous details;
- Removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives.
Multiple exposures, panoramas composed of several images, the adding or removal of people and objects to/from photographs are not accepted. The pictures admitted to the contest must be made with single exposure.
Pictures made by a mobile phone can be submitted in the Mobile Phone Photography category only.
In the case of doubts, the jury may request the author to show the original image or the image produced before or after it.
Participants must provide to the Organiser file(s) as recorded by the camera for all images that proceed to the final stages of the contest for detailed examination. Failure to provide these files when requested will lead to the exclusion of the entry.
Pictures must be uploaded by categories, in line with the set criteria.
The participants can submit a maximum of 9 works, i.e. singles and/or series, but not more than 2 works per category. For foreign participants in 4 selected categories, a maximum of 2 works per selected category – that means a maximum of 8 works total.
One series consists of a minimum of 3 and a maximum 9 pictures, except for the Long-Term Document category which must consist of a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 18 pictures.
One picture can only be entered once – either as a single or as part of a series.
Pictures can be uploaded by categories as:
Single photographs – each image must have a title and a short description;
Series (3 to 9 photographs, or 12 to 18 photographs for the Long-Term Document category) – each series must have a title and a short description, and the images in each series must be labelled with a number within the series.
Once the data is uploaded, the entrant is required to check all uploaded information and submit the registration. After the submission, no more changes can be made to the registration and the photographs.
The authors whose works were excluded from the contest due to the breach of the contest rules in the past (including in 2019) shall not be allowed to submit their works during the next three years.
By filling in the registration form, the entrant declares that the entered work is his/her exclusive work or the work of several authors listed in the registration form and that the author has the right to give consent to use it as a work entered in the contest in accordance with the SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO contest rules.
By filling in the registration form, the author also provides the Contest Organiser an exclusive unlimited licence unlimited in terms of time and space and consent to the use of the work for the purposes of the contest and subsequent exhibition(s) organised by the Contest Organiser and for the provision of works to other entities for the purposes of exhibitions related to SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO with no changes and for further processing.
Registration form and administrative fee
Once your registration is closed, the system will display a window for printing it. The registration form contains details and the account number for the payment of the administrative fee of €23.00. The administrative fee must be credited to the account by 25 August 2020 at the latest. Students are not required to pay the administrative fee.
As the next step, you are required to scan the printed and signed registration form and the document proving the payment of the administrative fee and send them to the e-mail address: email@example.com by 25 August 2020 at the latest; failure to do so will result in non-admission of your works.
Deadline for applications
The deadline for entering the contest is 25 August 2020 at 23:59 o'clock. After this date, the registration system will be closed.
How will my photographs be judged?
Each photograph entered in a particular category as a single photograph will be judged as a piece of work with its specific aesthetic and informative qualities. Each series will be judged as an aesthetic and informative piece of work in its entirety, as edited by the author. In exceptional cases and upon mutual agreement, the jury has the right to choose a photograph from a series and award it as a single, but only in case the original series has not been awarded.
The photographs will be judged anonymously. The photographs must not be labelled in a visible place with the name of the author and of the medium or agency for which they were produced.
The photographs will be judged by a 5-member international jury appointed by the SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO Contest Organiser. The jury will judge the journalistic qualities of photographs (informativeness, readiness, topicality) and their aesthetic value. The photographs will be presented to the jury in electronic format by contest categories.
In each category, the jury will choose a maximum of four nominees from among singles and series and will appoint the winners. The jury has the right not to nominate any of the works in a category and not to appoint a winner.
Announcing the contest results and presentation of winning works
The main prize GRAND PRIX will be announced at the press conference after the jury meeting. The nominees will be announced at the latest one week before the awards ceremony. The final results with the names of the winners of SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO 2020 will be announced at the awards ceremony in the Mirror Hall of the Primate's Palace in Bratislava on 1 October 2020. The awarded works will be presented at the SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO 2020 exhibition at Dom umenia (House of Art), Námestie SNP 12 in Bratislava. For more information, please, visit www.domumeniabratislava.sk.
The author grants to the Organiser the right to convert, in the case of being awarded a prize, the electronic version of entered works – photographs – into printed format. The Organiser shall print the images without any adjustments, on standard photo-paper and in a format meeting the exhibition needs.
Personal data protection
pursuant to Clause 13 of the regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC(hereinafter referred to as the “Regulation”)
SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO, s. r. o., registered seat: Bjömsonova 16, 811 05 Bratislava, Company ID: 36 844 748, registered in the Commercial Register of the District Court Bratislava l., Section: Sro, Entry: 48302,43 (hereinafter referred to as the “Controller”)
Contact Data - SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO, s.r.o.:
Email any questions about personal data processing, objections thereto, enforcement of rights of the data subject to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them to the Data Controller’s address: SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO, s. r. o., Bjömsonova 16, 811 05 Bratislava.
Rights of Data Subjects:
By providing your data to the Controller you acquire the status of a data subject under Section III of the Regulation, especially
- right to access your personal data,
- right to correct your personal data – the Controller will correct (based on request submitted by the data subject (you) or upon Controller’s discretion) any incorrect personal data related to you, without undue delay
- right to have your personal data deleted, the Controller will without undue delay delete your personal data, provided that at least one of the below occurs:
- the purposes the personal data were collected for or processed for ceased to exist,
- the data subject revokes the consent to have her/his data processed, and there is not another legal basis to have such data processed,
- personal data processing is illegal,
- personal data must be deleted to comply with the legal duty under the law of the European Union or its member state, depending on the jurisdiction applicable to the event organizer.
- right to restrict your personal data processing, if
- the data subject does not consider personal data correct and accurate during the period of time when the Controller can verify their accuracy,
- data processing is illegal, the Controller is not willing to delete personal data and requires to have their application restricted, instead,
- Data Controller no longer needs personal data for processing, but the data subject needs them to demonstrate, enforce or defend legal rights.
- right to transfer your personal data,
- right to object to your personal data processing (data profiling included) and
- the right to be excluded from fully automated decision-making (data profiling included).
Under Clause 77 of the Regulation, a Data Subject is entitled to file a complaint with the Supervisor, Slovak Institute for Personal Data Protection, Hraničná 12, 820 07 Bratislava 27.
Data Subjects can exercise their rights above under conditions established by the Regulation.
The Data Controller must always uphold a legitimate request when technically feasible.
Purpose and legal background of personal data processing:
Personal data provided by the participants of the contest organized by the Data Controller are processed to:
- fulfil contractual obligations under Clause (1) b) of the Regulation. Their personal data are processed before concluding the contract and for the duration of the contract,
- register the participants of the contest (Clause VI. (1) b) of the Regulation),
- to comply with legal duties of the Data Controller as defined by the institutions, authorities and other bodies or companies (Clause VI. (1) c) of the Regulation), mainly arising from:
- Act 563/2009 Coll. on Taxes (Tax Act) and on amendments and supplements to certain acts, as amended,
- Act 595/2003 Coll. on Income Tax as amended,
- Act 395/2002 Coll. on Archiving, Registration and on amendments and supplements to certain acts, as amended,
- Act 431/2002 Coll. on Accounting as amended,
- send newsletter (Clause VI. (1) a) of the Regulation),
- to promote competitions organized by the Data Controller and to publish their results – personal data of the participant will be disclosed in mass media and on Data Controller’s webpage (applicable to the meta-data of photos, too).
Your personal data will be kept depending on the purpose they are processed for:
Personal Data Processed for - Personal Data Retention Period
Contractual Rights and Duties - Personal data of selected participants and winners will be processed until there is the Slovak Press Photo foundation and its potential successors. Personal data of other participants will be eliminated immediately after the contest ends.
Registration of participants of the contest - 10 years
Accounting - 10 years
Newsletter - Until the consent of the data subject is revoked.
Data Controller’s Legal Duties - Period defined by the respective legal regulations.
Promotion of competitions and disclosure of results - Personal data will be disclosed on Data Control ler’s webpage according to the document registration rules and in mass media for their duration period.
Personal Data Disclosure:
Your personal data are neither disclosed nor provided to third parties unless required by a specific legal regulation or needed to fulfil the contractual duties.
The entities or groups detailed below («Data Processors») were appointed under Clause 28 of the Regulation to process your personal data:
- SLOVAK PRESS PHOTO, registered seat: Bjömsonova 16, 811 05 Bratislava, Company ID: 50057651, a foundation registered with the Ministry of Interior SR under e.203/Na-2002/1124 on 16.11.2015
- graphic designers, copywriters, programmers/web developers, PPC specialists, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) specialists, accountants, other operators we cooperate with in our activities.
Third Countries: The Data Controller does not intend to transfer your personal data to a third country or an international organization. Automated Decision Making and Profiling: The Data Controller does not apply automated decision making (profiling included) to process clients‘ personal data. If you reject to disclose your personal data to the Data Controller, the latex will not be able to prepare and conclude a contract with you and let you participate in the contest.
Bratisava, on 30.06.2020